Went to Alaska, traveled with the RV, touched a glacier, went dogsledding
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For the most part, I did. My resolutions for next year are simple and realistic.
3. & 4. Did anyone close to you give birth? Did anyone close to you die? Did anyone close to you get married?
A few close internet friends got married, a few gave birth. Thankfully no close deaths this year, although I feel like I lost a bit of my childhood with all the celebrity deaths.
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, the Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, and all over the US
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 25, 2009. I was in a hostel in Seward, Alaska and happened to get online within minutes of Michael Jackson's death being announced. I had the unfortunate duty of telling everyone at the hostel. It was a little strange, but cool in a morbid way, sitting around a dining room table with people from literally all over the world mourning the death of the King of Pop.
July 5, 2009. I was in the airport in Philadelphia on over 40 hours of travel and no sleep. The plane was delayed, so we were watching the news on the TV at the gate when they broke the story of the fatal Disney monorail crash. Had we been able to get an earlier flight, Dad and I had planned to be at Disney for the 4th, and likely would have been on the last monorail of the night, possibly sitting up front with the driver.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Had my first print article published. Web writing is awesome, but I finally got to show my 89-year-old grandmother what I actually DO all day.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Flaking out on a few things
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully I had a pretty healthy year
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A Haunted Mansion painting for my father, which I was fortunate enough to have autographed by the artist. For myself, a really awesome Michael Jackson tribute poster
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Definitely my Dad. He has grown this year in ways I never thought possible!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My cousin and her husband, and my uncle. I'm still sad when I think through that situation.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel...and it was SO worth it.
15. What events did you get really, really, really excited about?
Stone Mountain Christmas, Thanksgiving at Jellystone in Gatlinburg
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
All I Want for Christmas Is You
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Much happier, or at least more content
b) Thinner or fatter? About the same
c) Richer or poorer? A little richer financially, much richer in spirit
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Stop and smell the roses
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Feeling frustrated. *I concur*
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it relaxing at home watching movies and playing games, then went out to the comedy show at Capone's.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Most of my phone time this year was work related.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Had/have a couple of definite crushes, but actual love, no
23. How many one-night stands? How much action?
Not as much as last year, by choice.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
Survivor, Amazing Race
25. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn't dislike this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Goodtime Girls, about the "ladies of the night" during the Yukon Gold Rush
27. What was your greatest musical discovery or rediscovery?
I had a nostalgic musical year. Mostly listened to songs that had meaning for me from long ago
28. What did you want and get?
A stable writing career
29. What did you want and not get?
To see the farewell tour of Rent
30. What were your favorite films of this year?
Star Trek, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Went to Disney for my free birthday gift card and spent a lot of time riding the monorail (it was a week after the crash). Recuperated from the jet lag caused by the travel snafu coming back from Alaska--an overnight flight, 18 hours in the Denver airport, another overnight flight, major delays in Philadelphia...I was exhausted!
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Better financial stability, rather than the feast or famine. My own fault, I've always been bad at saving money.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Artsy-goth, but a bit more casual than it used to be.
34. What kept you sane?
My Dad, music, friends
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most/least?
Most-Barack Obama...and I was deeply touched by the untimely deaths of Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, the list just goes on and on.
Least-Octomom, Balloon Boy's parents and many other attention whores
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care reform...I can't believe we might finally actually get it.
37. Whom did you miss?
My mom and the ex who committed suicide...I miss them every single day.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Too hard to pick just one. I met some truly wonderful people this year.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009
Appreciate what you have, because so many people have it so much worse.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
"To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad..." From La Vie Boheme, Rent.